Chong Wei receives RM500,000 for Olympic silver win


PUTRAJAYA: National shuttler Lee Chong Wei received RM500,000 yesterday for his silver medal win in the London Olympics.
The reward was presented by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak in a ceremony at Seri Perdana, which was also attended by his wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor.
The reward comprised RM300,000 from the National Sports Council’s Incentive Scheme and RM200,000 from the Malaysian government in the form of Amanah Saham Wawasan.
Apart from that, Chong Wei also received a watch from Rosmah, who is also the Badminton Association of Malaysia’s (BAM) patron.
Silver well earned: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor
taking a look at Lee Chong Wei’s Olympic silver medal. — BernamaSilver well earned: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor taking a look at Lee Chong Wei’s Olympic silver medal. — Bernama
In a short speech, the Prime Minister congratulated Chong Wei on his success and was confident it would strengthen his resolve to achieve further success in the 2016 Olympics.
“Maybe luck wasn’t on his side to win the gold but he fought right to the end. It showed how serious he was and I hope he will go on to achieve even bigger success,” he said.
Najib also agreed with a proposal to set up a National Badminton Academy at the Juara Stadium Badminton Training Centre in Bukit Kiara.
Chong Wei, 30, said he would consider the wishes of the Prime Minister to deliver the country’s first gold medal at the Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
“I’m grateful to the Prime Minister and his wife for the reward, I will be saving the money. Even though I didn’t bring back a gold medal, the government still supports me. I have tried my best,” he said.
“I will look at my performance over the next two years and at the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, and Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, both in 2014. If my fitness permits, I will continue till the 2016 Olympics,” he said. – Bernama

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...